Yorkshire Coast Community Rail Partnership

A Brief History of the Line

 

On 6th October 1846, the York and North Midland Railway Company officially opened the line from Hull to Bridlington.† The occasion was marked by a special train of three engines and sixty six carriages travelling from Hull to Bridlington while crowds lined the route to watch.

The line from Seamer junction to Filey had opened the day before but it was another year before the 13 mile section between Filey and Bridlington opened due to the more difficult terrain which it had to pass through.

In 1854 due to amalgamation the line passed into the hands of the NER and in 1923 to the LNER.

The stations and other buildings on the line were designed by the YNMR architect George Townsend Andrews and many of these buildings survive today.

The map on the right shows that there were originally many more stations than there are now.† The ones in italics closed between 1950 and 1970.†

In 1947 the LNER built a short branch line to serve the holiday camp at Filey but this too closed in 1977.† The earthworks of the double facing junction can still be clearly seen between Hunmanby and Filey.

Between Bridlington and Seamer the line was partly reduced to single track in the 1970ís with the section between Filey and Hunmanby being retained as double.

 

Text Box: The Line as it was in the 1950ís

Bridlington Station

 

Bridlington station has perhaps changed more than any other on the line.† The original GT Andrews designed station with overall roof covering platforms 1, 2 and 3 was demolished in 1983 and it is the 1912 extension designed and built by the NER that is now used.

For further information about the history of Bridlington station visit The Station Buffet website.

 

 

Driffield Station

 

Driffield Station originally had an overall roof similar to the one at Filey but with partially glazed vertical roof ends instead of being hipped.† The roof was removed and replaced with awnings in 1949.†

Below is a photo of the bookstall which was on the station in the 1960ís

 

(photo copyright G. Radford)

 

 

In NER days many of the stations had a tiled map of the NER railway network on the wall.† Surviving ones can be seen at Beverley and Scarborough stations.

 

North Eastern Tile Company Website

Text Box: Filey Holiday Camp Station

Further historical information and photos can be found by following this link.

Bempton

 

The photo below was taken a short distance north of Bempton station, looking south, around summer 1958.  The train is the weekday 5.10 pm Hull - Bridlington - Scarborough so-called 'businessmen's' express. It was really 'express'; it stopped only at Beverley (not Cottingham), Driffield, Bridlington, Filey and Scarborough (arr. 6.29 pm).  The locomotive is 'B1' Class 4-6-0 No 61305, from the Hull Botanic Gardens motive power depot.  It was double track through Bempton in those days.  The station signal box can be seen in the distant right background  It was adjacent to the level crossing with Newsham Hill Lane.  The station 'cattle dock' is on the left.  Today, there is just one track and one platform, the signal box and cattle dock have gone and the Newsham Hill Lane crossing has automatic half-barriers. 

 

(photo and information courtesy of Tony Ross)

Flamborough

 

Same train, same year, passing Flamborough station (then double track) and since closed.  Now single track, and no station.

 

(photo and information courtesy of Tony Ross)

Contact the Yorkshire Coast Community Rail Partnership at admin@yccrp.co.uk

 

We take care to provide accurate and up to date information on this website however we cannot guarantee this and recommend that you check with National Rail Enquiries before travelling on the train.

All items and photos on this website should not be re-used without the permission of the YCCRP.† All photos on this website have been used with permission.

 

Website designed and managed by Rachel Osborne and hosted by Machine Networks.